What I find most interesting and exciting is that you just can’t operate in the same way as you did before in business. Now more than ever, I think you need total emotional ‘buy in’ from your team and to call on new aptitudes to really succeed.My favourite business book for the last few years has been ‘A Whole New Mind’ by Daniel H Pink. It’s relevant for both the Corporate and Start Up worlds and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Daniel Pink offers a fresh look at what it takes to excel and reveals the six essential aptitudes on which professional success and personal fulfilment now depend:
1. Design – Making something beautiful and emotionally engaging
2. Story – Fashioning a compelling narrative
3. Symphony – Seeing the big picture, combining disparate pieces into a new whole
4. Empathy –Forging relationships and caring for others
5. Play - PLAYING!
6. Meaning – Finding and giving meaning
All 6 things can come quite naturally to women and with the ease of amazing ‘build your own website’ tools like www.wix.com along with online networking organisations, the world is truly our oyster! There has never been a more opportunistic time to do something really creative, innovative and bold. It’s competitive and tough (which calls for GRIT), but the opportunity is certainly there for the taking!